Monday, June 21, 2010

12. Extract from Washington DC Radio's "News at 5"

[23 July]
.
"...Presenter - Okay, we're going over now to Toni Rogers for breakking news in the Nurse Henry investigation which Toni has been covering for us. Toni?
Reporter - Hi, Bob. I'm at a shooting-range outside Martinsburg, West Virginia with Irv Holstein, the owner of the range and Irv, you're responsible for a breakthrough in the Nurse Henry investigation, aren't you?
Mr Holstein - Well, we think so, yes.
Reporter - Why do you think that, Irv?
Mr Holstein - Well, we're a pretty small operation here. We have a loyal group of regulars who come shooting here once or twice a week but they're mostly from hereabouts so we know them all, know some of them all their lives. So the other day this fella' turns up looking to become a member and asking if he could look around the range. So I started showing him around but he just didn't seem right.
Reporter - What do you mean by he "didn't seem right"?
Mr Holstein - Well, folks that come to a shooting-range tend to fit into one of two categories. They either have a police or army connection or the like. Or they enjoy hunting. This fella' didn't fit into either category. In fact he didn't seem that interested in guns at all and being interested in guns is kind of a prerequisite to getting the most out of a firing-range. Plus he was kind of funny too.
Reporter - In what way "funny"?
Mr Holstein - Well, not funny ha-ha, that's for sure. He was dressed in fancy clothes. Looked like he was going to a garden party with the Queen of England. And he spoke like the Queen of England too. Very posh. As if he was born better than the rest of us. Anyhow, I asked him if he'd like to let off a few shots on the range and he said that he would. But when I gave him the shot-gun he didn't know how to aim and fire. He looked as if he hadn't ever lifted a gun in his life.
Reporter - And had he said that he knew how to fire a gun?
Mr Holstein - I don't recall that he'd ever quite said as much but he'd never not quite said as much either. In any event, I took the shot-gun from him and let off a shot. At which point he said that he was more a revolver man than a shot-gun man. But when I asked him what kind of revolver he liked to use he couldn't name a single type. Which told me that he'd never fired a revolver either. It made me quite uneasy.
Reporter - Why?
Mr Holstein - Well, he was a strange type. Looking for a gun. Pretending he was something he wasn't. Swanning about in his strange clothes and with that funny way of speaking. I wasn't sure what to make of him or what he was up to, except that I was sure he was up to no good.
Reporter - So what did you do?
Mr Holstein - I told him that he looked like he needed some shooting-lessons and that we didn't offer lessons, so he'd need to go elsewhere.
Reporter - How did he react to that?
Mr Holstein - He told me what a "good fellow" I was for showing him around and then - strangest thing - he asked me if I would sell him a gun. When I asked him why he wanted to buy a gun he said that he'd need it if he was to do shooting-lessons. This from a fella' who'd been lording it around as though he was born with a silver gun in his mouth.
Reporter - And did you sell him a gun?
Mr Holstein - I'm not licensed to sell firearms and even if I was I wouldn't have sold one to this fella'. Why he'd likely shoot me once I gave it to him. When I told him that we don't sell guns he said that if we didn't do lessons and we didn't sell guns then he might as well leave. I told him that he might as well and off he went.
Reporter - Did he have a car?
Mr Holstein - No. Given all his airs and graces I wouldn't have been surprised if he had a chauffeur with him but all he had was a pedal-bike. Said it was better for the environment.
Reporter - What did you say to that?
Mr Holstein - I said that maybe it was better for us all if he left. He gave me a vicious look when I said that but headed off without saying anything more. It gave me a land that look. Showed me the true nature of the man.
Reporter - When did you realise that you might have been speaking with the man police want to talk with about the Nurse Henry murder?
Mr Holstein - The next time I was in Martinsburg. The sheriff's a friend of mine and I called in to the station to see him. When I was there I saw the "Wanted" poster on the notice-board and I knew the "Wanted" man was the fella' I'd met.
Reporter - When did you see him?
Mr Holstein - Three days after that girl was murdered.
Reporter - And he was looking to buy a gun.
Mr Holstein - He was.
Reporter - There you have it, Bob. Police believe that this was a sighting of the man they have been looking to speak with about Nurse Henry's killing. They are obviously concerned that he was looking to buy a gun and are even more concerned that he may have managed to acquire one by now. They are warning that anyone who sees the man should treat him as armed and dangerous and make no attempt to confront him.
Presenter - Worrying news, Toni. Is there any sign that the police are any closer to catching this man?
Reporter - The official line is that the police are following a number of lines of enquiry, Bob. However, privately some officers admit that they are not an awful lot closer to arresting this individual than they were when this whole sorry saga began.
Presenter - But they're not looking for anyone else?
Reporter - No they're not, Bob, and that tells us something.
Presenter - It certainly does, Toni. Thanks for that and do let us know if anything new arises.
Reporter - Will do, Bob...".




No comments:

Post a Comment