Thursday, June 17, 2010

8. Extract from statement of Lucy Oldfield

[22 July]

"...I am the owner of "Headcases", a hairdressing salon in Penn Quarter. At about 2.20 on the afternoon of 18 August a man came into the salon. I know it was around 2.2o because I had just seated Mrs Wu, my 2.15 appointment.
The man asked me if he could have a glass of water. I told him to take a glass from the water-cooler. I kept an eye on him as he did so. He was sweating heavily and he looked nervous. There was a part of me that wondered for a moment if he wasn't going to rob the store. He had a little tuft of red hair beside his right ear as if he had once had a beard but shaved it off. He was wearing a light summer shirt that was drenched with sweat. He was also wearing a pair of dirty black trousers.
After the man finished drinking he asked where the nearest Metro station was. He spoke well, like he was well-educated but foreign, maybe English. He seemed a bit eccentric in his manner, like he was trying to be something he wasn't. His whole manner made me quite edgy. I told him that we were half-way between the Judiciary Square and Union Station stops and told him how to get to both. He gave me a funny look and then left without saying thanks. As he walked from the store I saw that there was a red stain on his left shoe. It looked like dried blood.
On the evening of 21 July I was watching television with my husband. The lead story was about the woman who got murdered in Rock Creek Park. There was a sketch of the man police are looking for. In the picture the man had a red beard but apart from that he looked pretty much like the man who called into the salon. I immediately called the police and told the lady on the phone the same facts that I have just mentioned. She took my details and asked me to call into the Chinatown police station to give this statement...".




No comments:

Post a Comment